MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST III - HEMATOLOGY - JOHN H STROGER HOSPITAL
Job Number: 00119966
Job Posting: Mar 24, 2017, 10:02:08 AM
Closing Date: Apr 24, 2017, 12:59:00 AM Full-time Shift Start Time: 11:00 P.M. Shift End Time: 7:00 A.M.
Collective Bargaining Unit: SEIU Local 73 Posting Salary: STARTING SALARY $28.230
Organization: Health and Hospital Systems
Location: John H. Stroger Hospital / Hematology Department
Under minimum supervision, exercises a high degree of independent judgment and technical expertise as a Medical Technologist by performing tasks of high complexity in connection with one or more specialized areas related to Point of Care Testing (POCT), Biochemistry, Microbiology, Blood Banking, Hematology, Immunology or elsewhere within the Department of Pathology. Provides technical guidance, training and direction to Medical Technologist I and II as well as other department staff. Under general direction may perform duties associated with providing for adequate coverage with the laboratory on a particular shift and by ensuring that laboratory procedures are carried out in an effective manner. Confers with other Technologists, supervisors and administrative staff as to a strategy for operating the laboratory at optimal levels. Assists with the development and incorporation of new methods, approaches and procedures for the unity. Assumes responsibility for one or more areas with respect to monitoring or ensuring compliance with governmental or other regulatory standards, explaining them to others, or providing quality control. Helps develop written procedures and manuals relative to area of expertise and assists with safety and administrative tasks as required. Exercises independent judgment in a variety of matters, subject to administrative approval.
- Must have qualified as an Medical Technologist as defined by the Illinois Clinical Laboratories Code and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) (Must provide proof at time of interview)
- Must have a bachelor's Degree in a scientific field that qualifies to clinical laboratory studies(Must provide transcripts at time of interview)
- Must possess certification as an Accredited Medical Technologist (AMT), Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or other national certification (Must provide certification at time of interview)
- Must have six (6) years of full-time, professional hematology experience as a medical technologist in a hospital or health care setting and be able to perform all hematology tasks, including equipment maintenance, trouble shooting, training staff, writing and Quality Control (QC)/Quality Improvement (QI).
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in the execution and interpretation of specialized and highly complex laboratory tests and procedures requiring a thorough knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices relative to the area of assignment and commensurate with that acquired through additional or highly specialized postgraduate education training or on the job experience as further defined by the needs of the position. Thorough knowledge of the scientific methodology applicable to a particular area of specialization
- Mastery of specific tasks and procedures sufficient to effectively provide testimony or other expert opinion as may be required under a variety of circumstances
- Thorough and extensive knowledge of governmental and other regulatory requirements applicable to sections. Skill in assisting at a highly responsible level with preparations for CLIA and other inspections and in meeting prescribed standards associated therewith
- Knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and various computer systems
- Ability to work with other highly trained or specialized technologist to isolate and define unknown conditions, resolve critical problems, formulate and write new procedures for the section
- Ability to collaborate with others to plan, develop and carry out vital scientific programs
- Ability to work with a variety of staff and build effective relationships
- Ability to work within broad guidelines requiring independent decision making, complimented by sound judgement in determining when to bring difficult or unsolvable problems to other senior staff or supervisors as necessary. Willingness to work with others in a team effort and provide leadership as required
- Ability to perform any or all of the tasks attributable to Technologist I and II assigned to a specific area or otherwise to provide technical guidance and direction in related matters
- Ability to effectively and responsibly review and release data and information and ensure a high degree of confidentiality as required
- Ability to apply quality assurance and control without supervision. Ability to troubleshoot more than one bench or area
- Ability to participate and assist blood drawing services and perform related duties, where applicable
- Skill in management of patient and laboratory related data, records information through the use of laboratory information systems or other PC technology as required
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient related materials in compliance with HIPPA requirements
- This position occasionally requires various types of physical exertion including, but not limited to climbing, lifting, pulling, pushing, prolonged standing, operating laboratory equipment and other devices, or moving moderate to heavy weight
- The duties listed above are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee's normal line of work
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
- To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, Are you a Military Veteran?
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver's License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER'S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
MUST MEET REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
*Degrees awarded outside the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
*Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
*CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring uponor because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS SYSTEM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER