Providence is calling a Per Diem, Variable shift Laboratory Assistant II to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, CA.
In this position you will:
- Centrifuges blood specimens in test tubes and capillary tubes to separate cells and sediment from blood serum, and prepares specimens for testing.
- Maintains phlebotomy test tray and working area in a sanitary condition.
- Draws blood from the patient by venipuncture and capillary collection observing strict principles of aseptic collection, returns blood to lab and logs into computer.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies and requests/orders supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times.
- Maintains required documentation, records, files, logs, and reports.
- Innoculate media with clinical specimens to provide data on cause, cure, and prevention of illness.
- Maintains good relations with patients, medical staff, and other departments as well as other hospitals that use services.
- Participates in educational programs and inservice meetings.
- Attends meetings as required.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Previous Phlebotomy experience and 2 years experience in the health care field in related work.
- Current California Certified Phlebotomoy Technician 1
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occassional prolonged standing/walking
- Occassional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Pushes/pulls or moves/lifts heavy equipment/supplies
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- High School or equivalent
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, CA, is a 414 bed acute care facility, known for its state-of-the-art technology and high quality, compassionate care, has provided the full range of diagnostic, treatment, care and support services for the San Fernando Valley communities for close to 70 years.
Many of our specialized services are provided within our Heart and Vascular Institute, one of Los Angeles County's first STEMI designated receiving centers of heart attack victims; our Hycy and Howard Hill Neuroscience Institute, awarded the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission for a Primary Stroke Center, and the Gold Plus Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association (2010); our Women's Pavilion, and our newly opened the Roy and Patricia Disney Family Cancer Center, a comprehensive, state-of-the-art, patient-centered, treatment facility. Our cancer center includes some of the most advanced technology in radiation oncology, highly advanced medical and surgical oncology, excellent clinical outcomes and research, and all patient support services are housed in the same building.
Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center has an exceptional orthopedic program recognized for its excellent outcomes and clinical expertise. And Providence Saint Joseph's Bariatric Program, a leader and resource for those dealing with obesity in Southern California, received a Five-Star Rating for Bariatric Surgery, and Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence designation from HealthGrades.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Phlebotomist & Lab Support
Req ID: 144631